Become A Student VUceptor
Application Process Information
Online applications for VUcept 2018 open on January 5, 2018 at 8:00 am and close on January 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm.
There are three applications – one for new applicants (never before VUceptors), one for first-time returning applicants (been a VUceptor once before), and one for lifers (applicants who have been VUceptors twice already, including those who served on the executive board for a year). Please be sure that you complete the correct application.
Previous VUceptors must go through the same rigorous application process as new applicants and are not guaranteed an interview.
Applicants who are spending the semester away from Vanderbilt as enrolled students (study abroad, internships, etc.) are eligible to apply. If chosen to be interviewed, Skype or phone interviews will be arranged).
Note: Due to scheduling conflicts, we cannot accept Ingram Scholars or Writing Studio Consultants for VUcept 2018. Additionally, while you may apply to be a VUceptor, iLEAD Mentor, and a Transfer Student Leader, you may only hold one of these positions per year.
All applications are scored by three sets of readers: the Selections Team (president, vice president, and selections co-chairs), the other Executive Board members, and faculty VUceptors. While board members and faculty VUceptors score applications, it is the sole decision of the Selections Team as to who will be extended an interview. Therefore, please direct all questions about the process to the Selections Team, and not to other board members.
Applicants chosen for an interview will be notified by mid-February. Applicants are asked to submit a one-page resume as part of their application. The resume is meant to support your application. We will not penalize first-year students for having had less opportunity than upperclass students to build a resume. Experiences during high school are as relevant for first-year students as experiences during college for upperclass students.
Interview dates: February 19 and 20, 2018, between 3 and 8 pm.
VUceptors for Fall 2018 will be notified during the week prior to Spring Break.
Expectations for Student VUceptors
Failure to meet any of these expectations is grounds for termination.
- Participate in VUceptor Orientation (March 26, 27, or 28, 2018)
- Participate in VUceptor Training (August 13-17, 2018)
- Participate in all CommonVU activities with your Visions group
- Prepare Vanderbilt Visions meetings with your faculty partner on a weekly basis and co-facilitate all weekly sessions
- Complete The Commons Reading over the summer
- Participate in VUcept general body meetings in Fall 2018
- Recognize that VUcept is poised to actively engage in campus conversations and to shape campus climate, and, as a result, commit to be an informed resource for first-year students
- Maintain a clean conduct record and a 3.0 GPA for duration of term
- Uphold the Honor Code, the Community Creed, and the stipulations of the VUcept contract