Personal Well-Being

North House RA Staff Commons Cup Football Championship
CLC Self-Defense Workshop VUceptors with the Deans

“The education and resources provided by The Ingram Commons are exceptional. The RA staff and faculty heads are ever-present and are very in tune with first-year students. The Commons acts as a safe and open environment where students can feel comfortable sharing their struggles and can learn the skills necessary to overcome them. I’ve had countless people look out for me and my wellbeing on The Commons, making me feel cared for and loved.”
—Ariana Fowler, C'17, Murray House President

While living on The Commons, first-year students learn to understand and utilize the skills necessary for healthy physical, psychological, and sexual well-being.

From identifying peer mentors and resources—such as resident advisers and student VUceptors—to participating in discourse with community members regarding healthy living, first-year students learn to engage in practices of self-care, and then initiate programming focused on these topics. For example, the Commons Leadership Council has hosted a self-defense workshop each fall since 2014 to provide an opportunity for first-year students to learn both physical and psychological strategies.

Personal well-being also extends to campus partnerships with other resources, including the Vanderbilt University Police Department (download the SafeVU app), Project Safe, the Office of Housing and Residential Education, the Center for Student Wellbeing, and the Psychological & Counseling Center (learn about the Let's Talk program). Through these partnerships, students further their understanding of developing personal resilience and sustainable practices of healthy living.