The Commons Experience
We believe that intentional and mutually beneficial educational networks among students, faculty, and staff create a residential collegiate experience that rests on discovery, creative inquiry, and engaged citizenship. Through the interaction among first-year undergraduates, faculty and staff, residents of The Ingram Commons will:
Acquire an appreciation for intellectual discovery and creativity outside the bounds of the formal academic curriculum, which contributes to academic engagement & success.
- Identify and engage with academic resources
- Engage in dialogue with a faculty member outside of the classroom
- Develop habits of inquiry to explore intellectual topics outside those within the academic program of study
Engage actively in building healthy communities on their floors, in their Houses, in their Visions groups, on The Ingram Commons, and within the university.
- Embrace the diversity (i.e., racial, ethnic, gender, sexual identity, etc.) of the community
- Develop cognizance of individual role in creating a supportive environment
- Pursue opportunities to engage in university-wide efforts to bolster community
- Engage in dialogue with each other about behaviors that impact the community
Understand and learn to utilize the skills necessary for healthy physical, psychological, and sexual well-being.
- Identify and engage with resources for generating healthy patterns of self-care
- Actively participate in discourse with community members on practices of healthy living
- Assume responsibility for developing personal resilience and sustainable practices of healthy living
Clarify their own ethical, spiritual, and civic personal values through self-discovery.
- Develop awareness and understanding of personal values
- Participate in community dialogue which challenges personal development and broadens understanding of self
- Explore civic responsibility opportunities within and outside of the Vanderbilt community
- Develop and maintain personal and academic integrity to contribute to the integrity of the Vanderbilt community
Explore, live, and celebrate the diverse community of The Ingram Commons, Vanderbilt, Nashville, and the world.
- Develop awareness and understanding of personal identities, biases, and stereotypes in relation to privilege
- Develop a healthy attitude towards nondiscrimination
- Develop global and cultural competencies
- Contribute to the creation of an inclusive community that embraces and honors people of all backgrounds and experiences