The Commons

Home > Our Philosophy > Intellect

Intellect

"Spend ten minutes on The Ingram Commons, in any of its many spaces, and you will realize you’re in the middle of one large classroom, a classroom without walls. There are many teachers here; often the roles reverse as the student becomes the teacher. But we’re always learning from each other. We’re learning how to move from having opinions, and then having those opinions challenged by new discoveries and new perspectives, and then building new arguments. And we learn how to make those arguments with respect and civility toward each other.
—Vanessa Beasley, Dean of The Ingram Commons

Jimmy Carter Rolling Seminar Knowledge Bowl
Faculty Heads of House Hank Ingram Commons Reading Project

Here on The Commons,  intellectual discovery is at the center of all that we do. From dinners at the Dean's Residence with esteemed scholars to casual interactions with the faculty heads, we ensure that academic inquiry remains at the forefront of The Commons Experience.

Even outside of the classroom, faculty, upperclass peer mentors, and first-year students engage together in thought-provoking dialogues on topics as wide-ranging as the history of lobotomies to academic integrity. Students develop a greater appreciation for academic inquiry through specific programs and initiatives, including the Commons Reading, the annual Crawford Lecture on women in leadership, and Commons Cup Trivia Bowls. In March 2015, first-year students even had the opportunity to travel to Plains, Georgia with three faculty heads to hear President Jimmy Carter teach a Sunday School lesson at his hometown church and to learn about the president’s long legacy in American politics and global philanthropy.

“My interactions with my faculty head of house, HR, and housemates on The Ingram Commons have pushed me to learn in ways I never have in my classes. The passion for learning and discovering new things by everyone on The Commons has really been astounding, and people share that passion with each other everyday.” 
—Hunter Gabel, C'18, East House Service Commissioner