The ground floor of the residence features a spacious living room intimate enough to foster conversation between guests and up to 30 students, but friendly enough for students and guests to mingle freely during social events and parties. During the fall semester of each year, Interim Dean Melchor-Barz hosts receptions for each of the 10 houses as a means by which residents may become better acquainted with each other, their faculty heads, and the Interim Dean himself.
For conversations over dinner, the dining room comfortably seats 20. Guests, from elected officials and authors to an astronaut, have dined with the Dean and students at the residence.
Programs at the Dean's Residence
To sign up for any of the following programs or events, contact Jennifer Atwood. All dinners are offered on a first come, first served basis and space is limited. New dinners are advertised throughout the year via email.
The Blair Salon Series
A year-long concert series of dinners and musical performances by undergraduates of the Blair School of Music. Following the performance, guests will have dinner and conversation. It is a sophisticated way to begin the weekend! The 2017-18 series included music by Latin-American composers, Bach's Cello Suite, and a bluegrass piece, among others.
Past Dinner Guests Include:
- Susan Wente, Provost, Vanderbilt University
- Professor Kathy Friedman, Department of Biological Sciences
- Emilie Townes, Dean of the Vanderbilt University Divinity School
- Shelli Yoder, former Miss Indiana and U.S. House of Representatives Candidate
- Jesmyn Ward, author of Salvage the Bones (Commons Reading for the Class of 2018)
- Brett Sweet, Chief Financial Officer, Vanderbilt University
- Marcelo Glesier, Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Dartmouth College
- David Weintraub, Professor of Astronomy, Vanderbilt University
- John Geer, Dean, College of Arts and Science, Vanderbilt University
- Josh Clinton, Professor, Co-Director, Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions, Vanderbilt University
- Jon Meacham, Visiting Distinguished Faculty, Department of Political Science, Vanderbilt University