"Welcome to Gillette House! Our goal is to create a community at Gillette where our residents are able to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. By promoting engagement with the Vanderbilt community, creating spaces for discussion, and fostering a sense of community, Gillette will be the foundation of your first-year experience. With the leadership of Faculty Head of House Dr. Dobson, Gillette House residents will have the opportunity to make the most out of their first year at Vanderbilt. We know that you will create some of your best college memories in Gillette House, and we are excited for you to embark on your collegiate journey at the best house on Commons!"
-Camron Shirkhodaie, Head Resident Adviser
Located on The Ingram Commons, Gillette House is residence for 220 first-year men and women living separately on floors 2-6. The Faculty Head of House lives in an apartment on the first floor. Also on the first floor is a large recreation room, a laundry room, a seminar room, a kitchen, and a break room with vending machines. The building has central air-conditioning.
Gillette House was built in 1963 and named for Frank E. Gillette, a trustee of Peabody College. Gillette House was completely renovated during the 2006-2007 academic year.
Signature programming at Gillette House includes the following events:
- Weekly Gillette Gelato every Wednesday at 9 pm.
- Dinners in Professor Dobson's apartment featuring engaging faculty members and administrators, VU alumni, and Nashville civic leaders.
- Events with our Humphrey Fellow.
- Educational programming on sexual health, academic success, and stress management.
- "Book Buddies" community service program with Napier Elementary School.
- Special annual events, such as our pre-Thanksgiving feast and Super Bowl Party.
Gillette House HAC
Elections/appointments to the House Advisory Council will occur in early September. If you are interested in joining your House Advisory Council, be sure to attend one of the mandatory Commons Leadership Council Interest Meetings on Sunday, August 26. For more details ask your RA staff or email the Program Coordinator.