“Welcome to Crawford House! As you navigate your first year at Vanderbilt, you’ll find that we are a close-knit community of diverse and creative thinkers. Be ready to engage in stimulating conversations with your peers and build long-lasting friendships with the support of our Faculty Head, Professor McTamaney and the wonderful Crawford RAs. We are so excited for you to join our family!”
-Robin Yeh, Head Resident Adviser
Crawford provides modern features in a classic building housing 150 first-year students in traditional double rooms. Students live on floors 2–6 of this six story building. The second floor includes an apartment for the Faculty Head of House, a seminar room, and a common kitchen for residents. Floors 3–6 each have a study area and three shared bathrooms with showers.
In addition, there is a study area, laundry room, and music rooms on the first floor. The building is fully air conditioned. Corridors and common areas are carpeted. Student rooms have tiled floors.
Signature programming at Crawford House includes the following events:
- Crawford PlayDates are weekly socials to build and foster relationships among residents in the House.
- Divergent Dinners are monthly events in which individuals whose work is strengthened by creative or divergent thinking join residents for dinner to discuss why they do what they do for a living and how they came to their fields.
- The Crawford Haunted House is an annual event in which residents transform Crawford into a Haunted House for other Commons residents and faculty families.
- The Crawford Lecture Series is an annual seminar highlighting the accomplishments of various women and promoting empowerment of female leaders, inspired by Frank Crawford, wife of Cornelius Crawford, after whom the House is named.
- Festivus for the Rest of Us is the annual Crawford House holiday dinner.
Crawford Send Off is an annual year-end celebration of the Crawford community planned by our residents for our residents.
Crawford House HAC
Elections/appointments to the House Advisory Council will occur in early September. If you are interested in joining your House Advisory Council, be sure to attend one of the mandatory House Advisory Council Interest Meetings on Sunday, August 26. For more details ask your RA staff or email the Program Coordinator.