"Welcome home to Crawford House! Crawford House is so much more than the reigning Commons Cup champion - although we find that pretty awesome! We are also a place of courage, curiousity, and compassion. Be ready to explore your creative side through entertaining artsy programs and also to cultivate your creative thinking with our Divergent Lectures. Our house motto, 'work hard, play hard' embodies the energetic and warm inclusive spirit of Crawford with our theme of healthy play and engagement. We can hardly wait to create priceless and lasting memories with our new members of the one and only Crawfish family!" - Hannah Malamud, Head Resident
Crawford provides modern features in a classic building housing 150 first-year students in traditional double rooms. Students live on floors 2–6 of this six story building. The second floor includes an apartment for the Faculty Head of House, a seminar room, and a common kitchen for residents. Floors 3–6 each have a study area and three shared bathrooms with showers.
In addition, there is a study area, laundry room, and music rooms on the first floor. The building is fully air conditioned. Corridors and common areas are carpeted. Student rooms have tiled floors.
Signature programming at Crawford House includes the following events:
- Crawford PlayDates are weekly socials to build and foster relationships among residents in the House.
- Divergent Dinners are monthly events in which individuals whose work is strengthened by creative or divergent thinking join residents for dinner to discuss why they do what they do for a living and how they came to their fields.
- The Crawford Haunted House is an annual event in which residents transform Crawford into a Haunted House for other Commons residents and faculty families.
- The Crawford Lecture Series is an annual seminar highlighting the accomplishments of various women and promoting empowerment of female leaders, inspired by Frank Crawford, wife of Cornelius Crawford, after whom the House is named.
- Festivus for the Rest of Us is the annual Crawford House holiday dinner.
Crawford Send Off is an annual year-end celebration of the Crawford community planned by our residents for our residents.
Crawford House HAC
Elections/appointments to the House Advisory Council will occur in early September. If you're interested in joining your House Advisory Council, be sure to attend one of the mandatory House Advisory Council Interest Meetings on Sunday, August 27. For more details ask your RA staff or email Assistant Director Natalee Erb.