"Crawford is truly a special House on The Commons. Our motto is E = E + 1, or education equals empowerment of another individual. We truly strive to live this motto through our programming model and interactions with one another. Led by an incredibly dedicated Faculty Head and RA staff, Crawford House has a real community feel to it and dedication to learning from one another in a way that is designed to spur action, or continued educational empowerment of others."
- Evyn Cosgrove, Crawford House Head Resident
About The House
Follow Crawford House Online
Crawford provides modern features in a classic building housing 150 first-year students in traditional double rooms. Students live on floors 2–6 of this six story building. The second floor includes an apartment for the Faculty Head of House, a seminar room, and a common kitchen for residents. Floors 3–6 each have a study area and three shared bathrooms with showers.
In addition, there is a study area, laundry room, and music rooms on the first floor. The building is fully air conditioned. Corridors and common areas are carpeted. Student rooms have tiled floors.
Signature programming at Crawford House includes the following events:
- Coffee Hour is a weekly social event to build and foster relationships among residents in the House.
- Crawford Contemplations is a bi-weekly event following Coffee Hour where residents meet to openly discuss an often controversial issue, i.e. current political affairs or news, issues affecting students on campus.
- Why I Do What I Do Dinners are monthly events in which individuals from various fields join residents for dinner to discuss why they do what they do for a living and how they came to their professions.
- Masters Tea is a monthly event in which individuals who are experts in a specific area talk about their field and opportunities to enter it.
- The Crawford Haunted House is an annual event in which residents transform Crawford into a Haunted House for other Commons residents and faculty families.
- The Crawford Lecture Series is an annual seminar highlighting the accomplishments of various women and promoting empowerment of female leaders, inspired by Frank Crawford, wife of Cornelius Crawford, after whom the House is named.
- Festivus for the Rest of Us is the annual Crawford House holiday dinner.
- The Crawfish Boil is an annual outdoor event in the spring semester.